If you are trying to co-author, the “locked” error can occur if the file uses a feature that is not supported by co-authoring. Ask the person who has the file open to do one or more of the following. The first thing to try is to turn off the Shared Workbook feature.
Right-click “My Computer,” select “Manage,” and navigate the “Shared Folders” tab to find and disconnect the open file. Keep in mind that only a network administrator with administrative privileges to the server can unlock the Excel file in this manner.
How do I unlock an Excel file that is locked by me?
To do so, follow these steps:
- Save all your work, and then quit all programs.
- Press CTRL+ALT+DELETE to open the Windows Security dialog box.
- Click Task Manager, and then click the Processes tab.
- Click Winword.exe, and then click End Process.
- In the Task Manager Warning dialog box, click Yes.
The issue is, oan excel file is shared among 8-15 users which accessing simultanouesly and modifying/saving it every 2-5 seconds. So fast every changes they did they saved it. But with the average of 1 hour, the file is being lock.
It means that someone already opened file and therefore you can’t edit that same file, only read it. Only person that open it first can edit it. If you do edit and want to save it, it will be saved as copy of that file and changes will be applied in that copied workbook and not in original file.
How do I remove a locked Excel file?
Remove a workbook password
- Open the workbook that you want to remove the password from.
- On the Review tab, under Protection, click Passwords.
- Select all contents in the Password to open box or the Password to modify box, and then press DELETE.
- Click Save .
How can I solve The file is locked for shared use by… error?
- Wait a few hours.
- Try out a different cloud storage provider: Sync.com.
- Check that the file isn’t already open.
- Turn Off the Require Check Out option.
- Adjust the Permissions Level Settings.
How do you unlock an Excel spreadsheet?
Unprotect an Excel worksheet
- Go to File > Info > Protect > Unprotect Sheet, or from the Review tab > Changes > Unprotect Sheet.
- If the sheet is protected with a password, then enter the password in the Unprotect Sheet dialog box, and click OK.
How do I turn off read only?
- Open Windows Explorer and navigate to the file you want to edit.
- Right-click the file name and select “Properties.”
- Select the “General” tab and clear the “Read-only” check box to remove the read-only attribute or select the check the box to set it.
How do I open an Excel file in read only mode?
To open a workbook as read-only, follow these steps:
- Display the Open dialog box. …
- Locate the workbook you want to open and then click once on the filename.
- Click the down-arrow at the right side of the Open button. …
- Choose Open Read-Only from the options in the drop-down list.